FREE Pudsey Lowtown iPhone & Android App

Pudsey Lowtown Primary School

Pudsey Lowtown Primary School

Pudsey Lowtown School
"The thing I like about our school is that I can trust every teacher and I feel safe"
"At this school it's good because we are all treated equally and there's always fun learning"
"The teachers at our school
are very kind and caring towards every single one of us"
"The thing I like about my school is that each and every one of us gets fantastic learning opportunities"
Life at Pudsey Lowtown Primary School Life at Pudsey Lowtown Primary School Life at Pudsey Lowtown Primary School Life at Pudsey Lowtown Primary School Life at Pudsey Lowtown Primary School Life at Pudsey Lowtown Primary School

Guide for parents

Who is the Special Educational Needs Coordinator?

At Pudsey Lowtown Primary School, the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) is Mrs Jessica O’Hanlon. She is the Inclusion Manager on the school’s senior leadership team and is the Year 6 teacher. She can usually be found in Year 6 or by the office at the end of the day. Alternatively you can ring school to arrange an appointment with her.

What do I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?    

You should talk to your child’s class teacher about any needs you feel your child has. The class teacher should be able to advise you on what will happen next. In most cases, the first steps will be to try extra support or interventions to see if barriers to learning can be overcome. You may request that the SENCo be present at the initial meeting or teachers may inform the SENCo afterwards. If these actions are not seen to help, if the attainment gap widens or if attainment levels seem significantly low, the SENCo will consider adding your child to the SEND register. This is used to identify children who need special provision in school and is not necessarily permanent. Your child will then be entitled to the provision described in the school’s SEND policy. The adults involved will monitor your child, provide the extra support they need and discuss progress with you regularly.

How do I know if the school thinks my child has special needs?

 Most children will receive ‘Intervention’ or ‘Catch-up’ programmes at some point during their school career. This does not mean that they have special educational needs: this is a normal part of the school’s inclusive practice to ensure that every child has a chance to improve in areas that they find difficult. If your child has a special need, they will receive more personalised support such as having a learning plan, a care plan for medical needs, be timetabled for 1:1 time with a member of staff, or receive visits from outside agencies. From October 2014, if your child is added to the SEND register, you will be officially informed by a phone call from school. For children already on the SEND register, the class teacher will discuss your child's special educational provision with you at a parents' meeting. If you want further clarification about the extent of support your child is receiving, please talk to the class teacher or make an appointment to speak to the SENCo.

What is the SEND Register?

The SEND register is a document kept by the SENCo listing details of all the children in school who have been identified as having Special Educational Needs or Disabilities. This is used to ensure that all staff are aware of these children and to make sure that they receive the extra provision they need. It also enables the SENCo to monitor this.  In addition, the SEND register is used for tracking pupils’ assessment data inside and outside school. This is so that school and the education authority can monitor how well children with SEND are progressing in school compared to other groups of children. All information regarding children with SEND is handled sensitively and only shared with the necessary members of staff. Your child may be removed from the register if it is no longer appropriate. You will be informed if this is the case.

 How will school support my child if they are on the SEND register?

If a child is on the SEND register, it is the school’s responsibility to ensure that they make special provision for them to make learning less difficult. The strategies will vary depending on the child’s needs and school may need to try a range of approaches and discuss with parents before finding the right one. Common examples of special provision include: following a Learning Plan to work on individual targets; working with a teaching assistant to follow a speech and language programme; having a care plan for medical needs; being timetabled for 1:1 time with a member of staff or receiving visits from outside agencies.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

At Pudsey Lowtown we adapt the national curriculum to meet the needs of our children. Lessons are differentiated to match all pupils’ needs and all children take part in our half-termly focus topic weeks. We use the 3 wave model to identify an appropriate level of support for every child: all children are taught at 'Wave 1' and are entitled to quality first teaching. Some children work in small groups to receive 'Wave 2' intervention. A few children (those with SEND) also receive personalised support or provision to meet their individual needs.

How will I know how well my child is doing and how will you help me support my child’s learning?

In addition to normal reporting arrangements and parents' evenings, you are entitled to additional opportunities to discuss your child's progress. You will be offered a longer slot at parents' evening and may request additional meetings at any point in the year. Depending on the needs of your child you may also receive phone calls from a teaching assistant working with your child, invited to meet regarding a learning plan, or be contacted by the Child and Family Support Manager.

What is a Learning Plan?

This is a profile of the child and records their needs, targets and progress. It should be written by the class teacher in consultation with the pupil and parents. A child with a learning plan will receive some time during the week to practise their special targets.

 What support will there be for my child’s overall well–being?

Your child's social and emotional well-being is our priority. Ofsted described our Social and Emotional Support as 'Outstanding'. PSHCE lessons are high profile on our curriculum and our assemblies and behaviour policy support this. We employ a very experienced Child and Family Support Manager who coordinates social and emotional support groups and assesses children's well-being as well as providing specific 1:1 support for emotionally vulnerable children. The cluster Family Outreach Worker is also based at our school and can provide additional support for families.

What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the school?

Our staff have a wealth of expertise including experienced and well-trained senior leaders, teachers, teaching assistants, a teacher for children with special educational needs, and support staff trained in speech and language. We also employ an experience child and family support manager who liaises with the family outreach worker and other agencies including the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service.

The SENCo also liaises with a range of external agencies who visit school. We pay for 77 hours from the speech and language therapist and also meet regularly with specialists such as the educational psychologist, school nurse, special educational needs and inclusion team and teacher of the deaf.

What training are the staff supporting children with SEND having/had?

The SENCo receives regular training and has a PG Certificate in SEN Coordination. Training is linked to the school appraisal system and staff are trained according to their role and needs. Examples of training provided include speech and language therapy, makaton, numicon, autism, team teach, epipen, social and emotional support and general support for children with SEND.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom?

All children are offered the opportunity to take part in activities and school trips.  Planning and consultation with parents/carers would ensure all the appropriate support and resources are in place so that any child can access what the school has to offer.

How long will my child stay on the SEND register?

As long as it would benefit him or her to do so! The SEND register is reviewed regularly and children can be added or removed as appropriate. A child who is once entered on the register does not need to stay there for the rest of their life! It may be that they have a short-lived need which requires extra support. In this case they may be on the register for less than a year. For example, many children receive speech and language therapy in the Early Years but complete the programme and come off the SEND register before Key Stage 2. On the other hand, if a child has a permanent condition, it may be appropriate for them to remain on the SEND register throughout their school career.

How accessible is the school?

Our school has disabled access and facilities.  If additional facilities and equipment were needed, we would seek support and advice from the Local Authority.

How are parents involved in the school and how can I be involved?

We welcome parent volunteers to listen to children read or support group work / projects. If you are interested in volunteering or can offer any support then please talk to a member of staff about this.

How will the school help my child on transfer to the next phase of education?

When your child transfers to a different school, records of your child's needs, targets and achievements will be sent to their new school. When transferring to high school the SENCo will also arrange a meeting with the SENCo from the high school. The school will support you and your child through the transition process depending on your individual requirements.

How are the school’s resources/funding allocated and matched to children’s needs?

If your child receives individual top-up funding, the money will be used to allocate resources or staff time to meeting your child's individual needs. Pudsey Lowtown also funds a teaching assistant to deliver speech and language programmes, a member of staff to deliver social and emotional interventions and a Child and Family Support Manager.

What is an Educational Health Care Plan?

In some rare cases an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) may be sought. In this case, a judgement will be made be made by the panel whether or not this is appropriate to meet the child's needs. If agreed, an EHCP will outline legal requirements that the school must adhere to in order to meet the child’s needs and will remain with the child when they move to other schools.

If you feel that your child has been on the Special Educational Needs register for some time, has profound needs and you would like the child’s requirements putting into a legal Educational Health Care Plan, you should contact the SENCo for advice. If the school recommends an EHCP for your child, perhaps before transition to high school, the SENCo will contact you to discuss your feelings about this.

 Who can I contact for further information?

In school you may seek further information, help or support via the school admin team. You may request a conversation with the Headteacher (Mrs Armitage), the SENCo (Mrs O’Hanlon), Child and Family Support Manager (Mrs Coleman), your child’s class teacher or any other adult you feel comfortable speaking with.

We would also recommend getting in touch with Leeds Parent Partnership Service. They are there to offer advice, information and guidance for parents of children with SEND. You can visit their website at; phone them on 0113 3951 222 or email at 0113 3951 200 (Mon-Fri 10am to 3pm) General: 0113 3951 222

To Find Out More...

Pudsey Lowtown Primary School has a special educational needs policy, written in line with the SEND Code of Practice (2014), which is available on our website. You may also make an appointment to meet Mrs O’Hanlon, the school SENCo to discuss any queries or concerns you have relating to Special Educational Needs.